Should you be a lover of chocolate desserts, prepare yourself for the ultimate indulgence with this easy-to-make chocolate trifle. Layers of decadent chocolate cake, creamy pudding, and whipped cream harmonize to fashion a dessert that will gratify even the most insatiable sweet tooth.
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix (plus ingredients to make the cake)
- 2 packages of instant chocolate pudding mix
- 4 cups of milk
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 1/4 cup of powdered sugar
- Chocolate shavings, for garnish
- Bake the chocolate cake according to the package instructions, and let it cool completely.
- Prepare the chocolate pudding by whisking together the pudding mix and milk in a large bowl, according to the package instructions. Chill the pudding in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat the heavy cream and powdered sugar together until soft peaks form.
- Cut the cooled cake into small cubes.
- In a trifle dish or large glass bowl, start layering the cake cubes, chocolate pudding, and whipped cream. Repeat the layers until all the ingredients are used up, ending with a layer of whipped cream.
- Garnish the top of the trifle with chocolate shavings.
- Chill the trifle in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving.
- To make the chocolate cake from scratch, follow your favorite chocolate cake recipe.
- For an extra indulgent trifle, add a layer of chocolate chips or chopped chocolate between the cake and pudding layers.
- To save time, use store-bought whipped cream instead of making your own.
Undeniably, this chocolate trifle is exquisite, yet it is indulgent in nature. If you seek some healthier alternatives, consider the following ideas:
- Swap out the chocolate cake for angel food cake or a light sponge cake.
- Use sugar-free or low-fat pudding mix to reduce the calorie and sugar content.
- Use Greek yogurt or coconut whipped cream instead of heavy cream.
Chocolate trifle is an irresistible and opulent dessert that is ideal for any occasion. Featuring layers of rich chocolate cake, velvety pudding, and whipped cream, it promises to enthrall your guests and satiate your desire for something sweet. Whether for entertaining or personal enjoyment, this trifle never fails to leave an impression as it is a dessert that is always in high demand.
- Can I make this trifle in advance? Yes, you can make this trifle up to 24 hours in advance. Just be sure to cover it with plastic wrap and chill it in the refrigerator.
- Can I use a different type of cake for this trifle? Yes, you can use any type of cake that you like. Vanilla, red velvet, or even banana bread would all work well.
- Can I use a different type of pudding for this trifle? Yes, you can use any type of pudding that you like. Vanilla, butterscotch, or even banana pudding would all be delicious.