For the pastry cream (crema pasticcera):
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp (30g) flour
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 235ml milk
For the cannoncini:
- 1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed (about 8 oz, 225 g)
- 50g of sugar
- 1 egg (for egg washing)
- powdered sugar to decorate
- Start by making the pastry cream. In a saucepan, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, vanilla extract, and flour until light and fluffy.
- Heat the milk until hot but not boiling, and add it a little at a time to the egg mixture, whisking continuously to ensure there are no lumps.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and stir until the mixture comes to a slow boil. Reduce the flame and cook for a few more minutes, stirring continuously, until the cream thickens to the desired consistency.
- Pour the cream into a glass bowl, cover it with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least an hour to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a floured surface, roll out the puff pastry into a 9×12 inch rectangle and cut it into twelve strips (about 1 inch thick).
- Roll each strip onto a conical mold, ensuring that the dough overlaps by about half its length.
- Place the molds on the baking sheet with the strip end facing down, and lightly brush each horn with egg wash.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, until the tops turn golden brown.
- Remove the pastry horns from the molds and allow them to cool for a few minutes.
- Fill each horn with the chilled pastry cream using a piping bag.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar over the top of the cannoncini and serve.
These delectable Italian pastries are perfect for any occasion, and you can make them easily at home with just a few ingredients. Follow this simple recipe and treat yourself and your loved ones to a delicious dessert that they’ll never forget!